ONLY AVAILABLE as Local Pickup or Local Delivery in Northern and Central New Jersey, Metro New York City, Westchester, Rockland, Southern Orange Counties.
Bonnie Plants sugar snap-style green peas can be shelled, picked young & flat to eat as snow peas, or filled out to eat pods with peas inside like a snap pea. Winner of the All-America Selections award.
Try it raw, boiled, or stir-fried. The vines are very compact and will be okay without support but may be easier to pick if you let them climb on sticks or on a short trellis. The short, bushy plant is perfect for containers, and in fact was bred with that in mind. Pick pods before they get too big. Good disease tolerance. Well adapted throughout the US.
- Light Full sun
- Pod size 2 1/2 inches
- Matures 52 days
- Plant spacing 5 inches apart
Quick Guide to Growing Peas
- Plant peas during the mild weather of early spring, once soil temperatures reach 45° F.
- Space young pea plants 5 inches apart in an area with an abundance of sunshine and fertile, well-drained soil.
- Improve your native soil by mixing in several inches of aged compost or other rich organic matter.
- Before planting, stake a tomato cage or trellis in the ground to make harvesting pods easier.
- Lay down a 2-inch layer of straw or dried grass clippings to help retain soil moisture and prevent weeds.
- Ensure your pea plants grow to be strong and vigorous by feeding them regularly with a continuous-release plant food.
- For snap-style peas, harvest when pods begin to flatten.