Zestar! is an attractive early-season apple, which can usually be picked in late August / early September. Unlike many early varieties it is a notably crisp apple and can be stored for at least a month in the fridge.
It was developed by the University of Minnesota, and is a good choice for areas with cold winters.
Semi Dwarf, Bare Root - ships 3 - 4' tall with a 3/8" trunk will grow to 8' to 12'
Professional Planting is available as a separate service in NJ for $ 75 per tree... includes location consultation, digging the hole, all top soil, peat moss and tree fertilizer, planting the tree, natural mulch, disposal of unneeded material, and one year warranty.
- Picking season - Early
- Uses - Eating fresh
- Cropping - Good
- Keeping (of fruit) - 2-3 weeks
- Flavor style (apples) - Sweet/Sharp
Self-fertility - needs a pollinator
- General resistance - Average
- Cedar apple rust - Some resistance
- Fire blight - Some resistance
- Mildew - Some resistance
- Scab - Very susceptible
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(4) -30F / -34C
- Summer average maximum temperatures
- Fruit color - Green / Red